Building and Inspiring the Life Sciences Talent and Workforce Pipeline
We believe that Maryland is a great place to work, and the state is committed to ensuring that employment standards speak fairly to safety, pay, and discrimination. Companies that operate within the state are required to meet a certain number of standards with regard to employment and licensing/permits. The Maryland Workforce Expressway offers valuable resources to help you stay current and compliant with state workforce standards.
- Employment Standards Services: This service provides employers and employees with the assistance they need to solve issues regarding leave, wages, or workplace discrimination.
- Prevailing Wage: Learn more about the Prevailing Wage law, which regulates the hours of labor, rates of pay, and conditions of employment of workers under contracts for public works in the state.
- Living Wage: Learn more about the Living Wage law, which requires private businesses receiving contracts or subsidies from local governments to pay employees a minimum hourly rate.
- Occupational Safety and Health: Maryland offers a multitude of resources to ensure and improve the safety and health of employees in both the public and private sector.
- Safety Inspections: All amusement rides, boiler and pressure vessels, elevators, and railroad equipment in the State of Maryland must be regularly inspected and certified by the Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation before operating to ensure the safety of the public.
- Worker Classification Protection: Use this resource to determine whether you are properly classifying the employees or independent contractors that perform services for your business in order to comply with the Workplace Fraud Act.
- Paid and Unpaid Sick Leave: Since February 2018, employers in Maryland must provide sick and safe leave to employees. Click now to learn more about the Maryland Healthy Working Families Act and how to comply.
- Occupational Licenses and Permits: Be sure to check at the state and local level to determine what licenses and permits you may need, depending on the location of your business or what industry it is in.
View more details on Maryland Workforce Expressway: https://businessexpress.maryland.gov/grow/workforce/labor-and-industry-standards