Summary of Position
The Sr. Automation Engineer/Automation Engineer III is responsible for executing automation tasks related to design, implementation and management of Process Control Systems, Building Automation Systems, Data Historians and associated control system integration. The position will develop automation requirements and be responsible for the design, budgeting, scheduling, resource management, implementation, commissioning, maintenance and operational support.
Responsibilities and Job Duties
- Leads and oversees the automation work for multiple small functional projects and/or a large capital/functional projects.
- Coordinates and leads a cross functional team of individuals for the implementation of automation related projects including changes and process improvements. Manages the project and the team ensuring all tasks are assigned appropriately and completed successfully.
- Engineers and manages process equipment/control systems reliability improvements, optimization, upgrades as well as implementation of new equipment control systems from the concept to commissioning and validation.
- Partners with industry experts/consultants to create automation specifications and standards, electrical drawings, network drawings, User Requirements, Functional Specifications and automation control strategies. Drives standardization within the department and within the company. Makes recommendations for improvements.
- Assesses existing equipment and control systems in the various manufacturing area and determines the required changes to meet the design, reliability and requirements. Provides recommendations, cost analysis and implementation timelines
- Provides hands-on technical support, diagnostics and troubleshooting functions to manufacturing and utility system operations.
- Acts as system owner for plant wide automation systems, technical owner and administrator for process and utility equipment automation systems, with support from senior management.
- Performs data backups, performs server maintenance activities, and monitor performance of automation systems to proactively detect potential failures.
- Coaches, trains, and mentors engineers, technicians and manufacturing associates utilizing appropriate levels of guidance on troubleshooting equipment and control systems to expand knowledge and capabilities.
- Develops operational and maintenance SOPs for the automation systems.
- Assists in developing system lifecycle approach for automation systems and maintain necessary documentation (Functional Specifications, Detailed Specifications, Instrumentation and Control Drawings).
- Performs investigations of manufacturing deviations and anomalies related to failure of automation systems and make necessary change with minimal supervision.
- Prepares new and revise current drawings on vendor-provided documents and in-house redlines. Reviews drawings and designs for adherence to established specifications and standards.
- Provides afterhours technical and troubleshooting support as needed.